Carbon Monoxide is a deadly toxic gas undetectable by smell that can harm or kill animals, plants and people. Most people don’t realize how many items and appliances within the home can be the source of carbon monoxide pollution. The most common appliances are fuel burning heaters, such as furnaces, water heaters, butane or gas heaters, stoves and gas ovens, central heating systems, and refrigerators. When using the appliances it is good to be in a well ventilated or spacious area to reduce chance of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
The best defense against Carbon Monoxide poisoning is to have working CO detectors installed throughout the living space of your home. While Carbon Monoxide is undetectable by smell there are still some helpful ways you might be able to detect a leak within your own home.
- Aldehydes – This toxic gas is detectable by smell and gives the sensation of a metallic taste in your mouth after exposure and indicates Carbon Monoxide is likely present.
- Health Symptoms – Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes headaches, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath and light-headedness. To help relieve these symptoms seek fresh air immediately.
- Dead Plants- Dangerously high levels of Carbon Monoxide are most likely present if your plants die suddenly or are withering.
Here are some basic rules to apply to your living arrangements to help reduce Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
- Always have your appliances fitted by a certified and experienced professional
- Have your appliances checked regularly, and have your vents and chimneys checked and cleaned on a regular basis
- Always pay close attention to manufacturer’s instructions when using appliances
- Never us fuel-burning appliances in enclosed and un-vented spaces
- Never use a gas stove or oven to warm your home
- Make sure you have high standard CO detectors around your home
- Be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poison in case of exposure
If you would like to protect your home and install a Carbon Monoxide detector, Levy & Son can help. Request a consultation today and Levy & Son will come to your home and educate you on where CO detectors should be located in your home. Give us a call now and we’ll be happy to come out and assist you in keeping your home safe.