August 13th, 2013
Over the past fifteen years, there have been many improvements in low flow toilet design and technology. At Levy and Son we make it our business to stay up-to-date on advancements made in the low flow plumbing field.
Toilets that are hard to flush or that clog on a frequent basis may be the victims of poor trapway design. The trapway can be defined as the hole where the water exits the bowl. The bends within the trapway may be too tight or the actual interior size of the trapway may be small.
Here are a few of the things you may want to consider when choosing the right low-flow toilet for your home:
- Trapway size – Size does matter! A small trapway can cause unnecessary blockages. There are toilets on the market with trapways that measure 2 ¼ inches or better. Get at least one that is a minimum of 2 inches!
- Glazing – Almost all toilets have a nice shiny glazed finish. However, some manufacturers cut corners in this area. The lack of glazing in the trapway can result in turbulence and reduced flushing capacity.
- Flush design – In the case of gravity-flush toilets, there are two different systems to choose from. In the siphon-jet system a jet of water adjacent to the trapway pushes the waste into the drain. In a slotted rim system, water exits the tank through slots underneath the rim of the bowl, creating a vortex, and forcing the waste down the trapway. The slotted rim system can be managed and cleaned more easily than the siphon-jet system.
A few examples of the better systems available:
- KOHLER toilets feature a 2-inch trapway and are fully glazed. That means they can pass an object the size of a softball.
- TOTO toilets feature 1 7/8” to 2 1/8” trapway and are Fully Glazed. They even offer insulated tanks on gravity feed systems. Trap seals are 2 ¼” to 3” – depending on the model.
- AMERICAN STANDARD makes the Champion which has a trapway of 2 3/8” and comes Fully Glazed. The trap seal is 3 inches! (Sizes vary with the manufacturer).
When looking to purchase a new toilet, it is important to do your homework. You will be using this toilet many times a day over many, many years! It deserves a little effort in choosing the right one for you. When purchasing a new toilet, remember: the toilet should have a TWO INCH minimum trapway and be FULLY GLAZED.
Contact your trusted Dallas plumbing company today for more information regarding the right toilet for the job! 24-hour service available for any and all plumbing issues!
July 29th, 2013
The high temperatures of summertime in Texas are rapidly climbing as we move into August. No one wants to find out on the hottest day of summer that their Air Conditioning Unit isn’t up to the challenge. There are several components that make up your air conditioning system, and if any one area is unable to perform its function properly then the performance of your system, as a whole, will suffer!
While it is vital that any services for your AC are completed by a qualified professional, one way you can help prepare your air conditioner, on your own, is to change the air filter in your system. Then, set your thermostat to a cool temperature and take note of any problems your system seems to have reaching or maintaining the set temperature. By changing your air filter you can protect your comfort, your budget, and overall condition of your AC unit.
Another fast, easy, and affordable way to ensure that your air conditioning system is ready for summer is to schedule routine air conditioning maintenance with a qualified professional. During a maintenance visit your entire system will be thoroughly inspected and tuned up as needed. Every element will be tested for proper operation! Minor issues that may otherwise go unnoticed can be addressed before they lead to more serious problems before you and your families are left in the heat of a Dallas summer. Your comfort is important to us, and getting your air conditioner serviced for summer is a great way to ensure that your comfort goes uninterrupted.
Don’t let the heat of summer get you down! Be prepared for whatever the summer weather can send your way. For more information on ways to get your AC summer ready, contact the professionals at Levy and Son today! http://levyandson.com/contact-us/
May 16th, 2013
The air conditioning system in your home or business is one of the key components in the overall comfort of your space. It is important to keep it well maintained.
Most people assume that their air conditioning unit may not require attention until there is a problem. However, an air conditioning system that receives regular maintenance can avoid costly repairs and have a longer life span. Levy and Son can help make sure your equipment is well maintained on a regular basis with our Guaranteed Maintenance Agreement. This semi-annual agreement ensures that our team of air conditioning experts provides proper maintenance and preventative care. Two times a year an expert will come to your home or business and perform a 25 point Master Tune Up on your heating and air conditioning system.
With our Guaranteed Maintenance Agreement a licensed, bonded and insured member of the Levy & Son team will meet you at your home or business at a pre-arranged time to perform your tune up and discuss the results. With the Texas summer fast approaching keeping your home or business cool is a must. Our air conditioning service in Dallas goes above and beyond the call of duty. We’ve been in business over 100 years and will be here when you need us. Contact Levy and Son today!